Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lindwell's Hero (Part IIIV)

I awoke in the morning to the crash of a tree. I instantly jumped to my feet and reached for my sword, but it was missing. Why had I been dumb enough to drop it yesterday? I looked over to the source of the noise where I saw a ball of black and gray scales twisting and jerking violently. After a moment I noticed the golden scales amidst the black ones and could recognize Streak's claws digging into the gray scales. An instant later the gray dragon rose its head up, mouth open wide. Streak replied by baring his fangs. The two dragons snapped at one another.

As the two dragons tried to tear into one another I started to look. At last my eyes fell on a thin, pointed stone. Not a sword or even a knife to be sure, but it would have to suffice. Perhaps I would keep my goal of killing a dragon after all. I dashed over to get the rock, then charged towards the two dragons. They were both too distracted to see me coming, and by the time they noticed it was too late. I plunged the stone into the gray dragon's side, right between the scales. Its pupils shrunk as its shriek rang in my ears. Then a second later the dragon looked straight at me and opened its mouth. I could feel its hot dry breath, and I knew what was coming. Flinging my body to the side got me out of the way of its fire breath for the moment, but that was merely the beginning for the brute. My foot pushed against the ground so hard that I nearly fell over, but I caught myself with the other foot and took off.

The gray dragon was immediately behind me, roaring and blowing fire into the air as it charged toward. me. Meanwhile I headed straight for the lake, just praying that the beast was hydrophobic. From how close the growling was behind me though, it seemed I wouldn't get the opportunity to find out. Getting to the edge of the beach I could feel the heat of the dragon's breath on my neck, and I knew I couldn't make it. I shut my eyes and ran just a bit faster, my heart feeling as though it were about ready to burst inside my chest.

My feet hit the water before I knew it was there, and suddenly there was another roar behind me. I finally stopped knee-deep in the water to see what had happened where I found Streak with his jaw clamped down on the other dragon's back. The gray dragon threw him off and turned back to me, little realizing that it had only given Streak the chance to ram himself into its head. The gray dragon fell over, and Streak landed proudly in front of his victory. He then walked over to me and lowered himself down--apparently we had some more flying to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment