Monday, August 2, 2010

Lindwell's Hero (Part II)

Arriving at my house, I couldn't help but groan--this shack of weathered wood was just another reminder of what the dragons had done to me. I clenched my fists as I felt the fire of despise growing in my chest. If I could, I would find a way to get my revenge on those stupid dragons, no matter what it took.

Opening the creaky wooden door and entering into my dark house I had to admit to myself that I would probably never get the chance to exact my revenge anyways, so I'd better just keep my mind on getting out of Lindwell. I could just run away, but where would I go? I was starting to understand that maybe it didn't matter. I lit a candle, it's small bit of light spreading through the entire house. There really wasn't much to it: a dirt floor, a pile of hay to sleep on, a few scraps of food, and some clothes heaped in the corner over my last few possessions. So what did I have to lose, really?

I plopped onto my bed and let my thoughts wander a bit, imagining what it would be like to finally be gone from this destitute little village. Friends? My friends had either joined the dragon riders or had forgotten about me after I had lost my parents. As for my family, I was an only child and my aunts and uncles were always traveling--they hadn't come to Lindwell in over five years.

At length I drifted off into sleep, too tired to even get myself up to eat. When I awoke the next morning the thought of food just barely won over my thoughts of leaving Lindwell. I grabbed some potatoes and other vegetables and headed out to start a fire. Over my fire pit hung my pot which I took to the village well for some water to cook my stew in. As I returned from the well I could see the sun starting to peak over the horizon in the east. I paused to consider what might be waiting for me there, when suddenly I felt a gust of air pass by me. Looking up I could see it: a dragon, holding something in its mouth.

I watched the dragon for several minutes as it flew, first going east then turning north to the mountains. And as I followed the dragon's path my mind started working: if I could get to the dragons' roost I could exact my revenge! But...that was a crazy idea--suicide, really. But as I started walking back to my little shack I really started to wonder, what did I have to lose?

Arriving at my house I poured the water in my pot and started dropping in the vegetables. After having put in what I wanted I went into my house. Staring at my pile of clothes and things I kept struggling with the thought of going to the mountains. I pulled on a shirt and pants and put on my brown leather shoes, each item reminding me in some way of my family. The wool shirt and leather shoes were once my fathers, and the pants were the first thing I ever bought after I had lost my parents. Even my yellowing woolen socks had been my mothers. And there was more than just clothes that they had left me. Kneeling down and digging through the pile of clothes I found my most treasured heirloom: my father's sword.

No comments:

Post a Comment