Thursday, August 26, 2010

Lindwell's Hero (Part VI)

My father had tried to fight the dragon off when it attacked. After what I had just seen though, I knew what I had to do. The sword hit the ground with a resonating ding.

The dragon took a step closer, breathing quickly through its large nostrils. It brought its snout right up to my face, then let out a snort of hot air. It then ducked its head to the ground and picked up my sword. Retreating a few steps it held the sword toward me. I reached out, took it, and placed it back in my sheath.

After looking me over for another moment, the scarlet dragon turned around and made a low grunt. The smaller dragon came immediately, though it watched its parent closely. It then lowered its head as the scarlet dragon motioned for me to get on its child's back. I was dumbfounded--didn't they know I had come here to kill a dragon today? The black dragon waited patiently as I thought through everything that had just happened and tried to decide what it meant. At last the red dragon gave me a nudge and so I got up on its child's back.

As soon as it felt my weight centered on its back the black dragon lunged forward and took to the air, leaving me to hold on as tightly as I dared to its long, snakelike body. Holding on I couldn't help but be amazed with how the dragon wound its way through the air effortlessly, seeming more like a branch in a swift river than something flying through the sky. It gently turned through the air, until at last we took a straight course, going north over the valley of dragons. This wasn't the direction I was planning on, but I was far too shocked to try to change our course. Besides, it seemed as if the dragon had somewhere in mind that it wanted to take me.

No comments:

Post a Comment